What is the Salute from the Shore?
The Salute from the Shore is a unique opportunity for individuals, friends, and families to salute our armed forces while celebrating Independence Day on South Carolina beaches. Our role is to organize and promote a military flyover on the 4th of July that will stretch the entire length of South Carolina’s coast. We will capture as much footage of the flyover as possible, from the air and from the ground, for inclusion in a video that will be posted for all to see.
To Salute and Honor America’s Armed Forces on the Fourth of July.
To create an accessible opportunity for South Carolina beachgoers to honor our armed forces by organizing a “Salute from the Shore” of a military flyover of the entire South Carolina coast each Independence Day. Our vision is to unite participants in a synchronized Salute to our troops that will be shared across the nation and around the world.
On July 4th, 2010, the first “Salute from the Shore” was witnessed by hundreds of thousands of people. The inaugural flyover – assisted by a C-17 from Charleston AFB – resulted in an overwhelming outpouring of personal messages, stories and support from those who participated. Touched by the emotional reaction to the event, the organization resolved to grow the event.
- Enhance existing 4th of July celebrations and activities of communities on the South Carolina coast while uniting them in a free and public Salute in honor of our armed forces. We actively coordinate with local events, tourism entities, military groups, non-profit organizations and businesses that share our desire to honor our armed forces.
- Create a sustainable event that can be improved upon year after year for the benefit of our armed forces and their supporters.
We encourage your comments and questions, so tell us what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Who We Are
We are a non-profit, grassroots group of patriotic South Carolinians who simply want to honor our armed forces. We recognize it is because of their service and sacrifice that we are able to celebrate our freedom from the very shores they endlessly strive to protect.
Board Chair: Andy Folsom
John Michael Otis
Maj. Jake Scott
We Need Your Help
Participants on the shore will be encouraged to salute the flyover by wearing and waving red, white, and blue. We’re asking participants to capture themselves “Saluting” the Flyover and our armed forces in images and videos and to share their stories on this website and elsewhere. Our final video “Salute” will include selected pictures and videos from participants.
How To Salute
- Head to the South Carolina coast at 1PM on the 4th of July.
- Go “BIG!” Get a huge flag or get creative. Then GET TO THE BEACH in all your red, white and blue!
- Record your Salute on camera and share it with the world - on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, a blog, or any other place you want.
- Photos of the aircraft are great. Photos of people Saluting aircraft are better.
- Tag your Salute images and videos with #SalutefromtheShore
- Make it personal. Whether you love someone serving overseas or remember a fallen hero, share your tribute. You can do that on this page: http://salutefromtheshore.org/share-your-salute.
- Tell us what you think! Send your comments to email@example.com.